Sunday, November 25, 2007

BYU COUGARS WIN and letting Benjamin "cry it out"

Yesterday was the biggest football game of the year- BYU vs University of Utah. We went to the game and took Benjamin with us. We were really worried about him because he slept for only 5 minutes during his morning nap instead of the hour he normally does. But surprisingly, he did better than we thought! In fact, we even got him to sleep a little bit. The weather was really cold- only the mid 30s, but Benjamin stayed nice and warm in his new hat and mittens that Grammy sent from California. The mittens came in handy as teething helps too. Benjamin couldn't get his thumb in the part it was supposed to fit in, but it worked great as a something for Benjamin to chew on- he has another tooth coming in on top.


Tonight we decided to start letting Benjamin "cry it out." We've been rocking Benjamin to sleep at night and during naps. Most of the time he falls asleep within 5 minutes or so, but sometimes it's a struggle that can last almost a half hour. We figured it was time to let him learn to soothe himself to sleep. This was hard... but not as hard as I expected it to be. We went through his routine, and instead of rocking him I put him in his crib and said goodnight. I expected him to cry for a loooonnnngggg time... I was predicting at least an hour or an hour and a half. But.... 36 minutes!!! WOO HOO!!! I went in to check on him after 10 minutes of silence and he was asleep in the corner of his crib and all tucked up in a funny position- kinda like he had collapsed after standing up for 36 minutes of crying. So cute! I dared to lay him out flat and he hardly stirred as I put him in a more comfortable position. We are so grateful!!!

1 comment:

Tammy and Parker said...

I'm thrilled to see that you are training up that gorgeous boy right by taking him to BYU games early!