Thursday, April 16, 2009

Compassion, Part Two

As we discussed earlier this week, Jonathan and I are working on teaching Benjamin compassion for others. We've had several "conversations" with him about what we can do to help other people who are sad or hurt. Today I saw the fruits of our labors...

Benjamin and I were in the living room this afternoon when our upstairs neighbors came home and one of their little girls was crying. Benjamin of course looked at the door and said "uh oh." Here's how our conversation went:

Me: "Yes, Sarah (*name has been changed) must be sad about something. What is one thing that we could do to make her feel better?"

Benjamin: signs "kiss"

Me: "yes, we could give her a kiss. What else could we do?"

Benjamin: pats his own shoulder

Me: "you're right. And maybe a hug too?"

Benjamin: "yes"

Me: "Could we share toys with her?"

Benjamin: "yes... hmmmm.... no."


So, yay Benjamin is learning how to make others feel better. Maybe our next lesson will be on sharing.

1 comment:

Christa Jeanne said...

Smart kid! Haha, just kidding - but that is a little funny. And I'm loving that he went straight to kissing - woot woot! ;)